Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Red Wave sits down with Bill Woodward


A voice that I'm sure a lot of us grew up listening to, the voice of every snap of Bulldog football, every big shot during Bulldog basketball and we even heard him call a couple of games during the magical run the baseball team made to the College World Series Championship this past June. Bill Woodward has been the man behind that voice and is retiring after 37 years behind the mic after this football season comes to a close. He will be missed by all of us that look forward to hearing his calls, especially to those of us who live too far away to make any of the home games, he always makes us feel like we're a part of The Red Wave.

I had a honor to interview him and get some insight to his memories and what he plans to do next.


The Red Wave: After 30+ years behind the mic, all the Bulldog games good and bad, all the traveling, how long do you think it'll take to sink in that this is it?

Bill Woodward: Hopefully not that long. This is a move I have been anticipating for a couple of years. I might have stepped down this past summer, but the stock market went south with a lot of my money.


The Red Wave: I'm sure people tell you that they used to enjoy listening to you growing up and now their kids are getting to enjoy your calls as well. How much does that mean to you that so many generations have listened to and enjoyed your calls of Bulldog sports?


Bill Woodward: First of all, I'm honored that they listened and hopefully liked what the heard. I know you can't please everyone, but you can try. Secondly, when players tell me they listened to me when they were little, just like their dads....then I think it's time to take my wife and go smell the roses.



The Red Wave: Take me back in time, to the 1992 Freedom Bowl against USC. How big of a win was that for this University and where do you hold that victory all-time?


Bill Woodward: Obviously it was a huge win for the program, the school and the alumni. I really enjoyed it because it was so great for Jim Sweeney. Fresno State got a lot of mileage out of it in the valley, but sadly, not a whole lot in the state. It's still a benchmark for the program, just like the near upset of the Trojans a couple of seasons ago. I rank it right up there.



The Red Wave: I know that you're not only the Voice of the Bulldogs, but you're also a fan. Talk to me about the 2008 College World Series Championship team as Bill Woodward the fan.


Bill Woodward: That was really weird. I hadn't broadcast a baseball game since the NCAA regionals in Knoxville, Tennessee, in 1993, so I had been away from the program for several years. To be honest, I didn't think they would go very far in the regionals. After all, they were sent to Long Beach State and that regional not only included Long Beach, but #2 San Diego and Cal, teams that had beaten the Bulldogs. San Diego was supposed to have the best pitching in the country. I was asked to do the series because the fellow who was doing the games had a prior committment to work the national spelling bee in Washington D.C. So I was really more of a fan than a broadcaster, but I managed to muddle my way through it and was really delighted when they advanced to the Super Regional at Tempe where Arizona State seldom loses, but you know what happened. I was so pleased that they were going to Omaha and then a couple of days later, my boss called me into his office and told me to get to Omaha because the regular broadcaster, Paul Loeffler, again had a prior committment. ( I guess he didn't think they would get that far) I did the first game against Rice and then Paul got there and I was able to just watch the remainder of the series and yell for the Diamond Dogs. It was fun!



The Red Wave: You've seen so many quarterbacks in Bulldog history from Mark Barsotti to Trent Dilfer to Billy Volek to David Carr and now Tom Brandstater. Who was the best Bulldog quarterback and why?


Bill Woodward: That's tough. I'm going to surprise you. Jon Anabo....he was the quarterback, along with Beau Carter, who guilded the 1961 team to an unbeaten season and a win in the Mercy Bowl over Bowling Green. Most fans don't realize how big a deal that was, but it was huge. There have been some outgstanding quarterbacks at Fresno State, and rather than try and pick one of the current crop, I think it's more fun to just remember their accomplishments and the pride they brought to the fans.



The Red Wave: Looking to the future and looking at the talent this Bulldog football team has in the coming years, is there one player that Bulldog fans should be excited about?


Bill Woodward: The ones they should get excited about are the ones that are on the field when they go to the game. Few fans, unless they have played the game, know the sacrafices these young men have to make in order to build a good team......it is a team game and those who play it will take something away from it that will last a lifetime.



The Red Wave: All in all, when you describe your 30+ years behind the mic for Fresno State, if you had to describe it in one word, what would it be?


Bill Woodward: Satisifaction



The Red Wave: Last question and I'm honored that you took the time to answer my questions, what's next for Bill Woodward? Is there a possibility we could see a book come out sometime in the near future?


Bill Woodward: I plan to spend my time with my wife Sheila. She stayed at home while I was out running around the country callilng games for 37 years and raised out two sons and did an outstanding job. We've never been able to go to New England in the fall and see the beauty of the turning leaves, but now we can. We'll do some traveling and what ever strikes our fancy. I'm really looking forward to it. As for a book, I understand James Patterson has a new one out.

No comments: